Welcome to our new website! If this is the first time you are logging in on the new site, you will need to reset your password. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
Your membership opens the door to free learning resources on demand. Check out the Member Knowledge Center for free webcasts, publications and online courses.
The highly-anticipated fifth edition is here! Get the must-have resource for achieving compliance with medical device regulations.
Hear from leaders around the globe as they share insights about their experiences and lessons learned throughout their certification journey.
Posted 28 March 2012 | By Alexander Gaffney, RAC
An analysis by the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) of 748 new drug applications (NDAs) and biologics license applications (BLAs) shows a nearly 20% increase in the rate of approvals for second-round submissions in response to a first-round complete response letter (CRL).
The analysis, which tracked NDA and BLA submissions made between 2005 and 2010, shows a 55% approval rate for first-round submissions.
The total approval rate jumped nearly 20% to 74.6% after companies submitted responses to the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) CRLs. A third round of responses brought that percentage up an additional 8.3% to 82.9%.
From there, additional rounds of responses and submissions did not lead to significant increases in approvals. Fourth-round submissions increased the total by 1.2% (84.1%), and a fifth round of submissions only improved the total by 0.2% (84.3%).
"After [the third-round submission]", writes BIO, "there is little data to support that subsequent submissions materially impact the probability of approval."
The analysis sheds some light on the importance of regulatory quality in filings, and provides insight on FDA's drug approval ceiling and filing strategies.
"When we analyzed 83 NDA/BLA filings that never made it to approval (i.e. were finally suspended by the sponsor), only one was attributed to a manufacturing issue," writes BIO.
BIO - Dealing with Rejection, the Regulatory Kind
Tags: Rate, Approved, CRL, BIO, BLA, Latest News, pharmaceutical, biologic, approval, NDA, drug